Re: WTAO-TV/Channel 56

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, PETER GEORGE, N1GGP wrote:

>      Though I do not know the exact date that WTAO-TV left the air, I can
> tell you that Channel 56 was off the air from early 1956 until the summer
> of 1962, when Harvey Radio Laboratories (owners of WXHR-AM and FM) participated
> with the FCC study on now well UHF TV stations could do (signalwise) in the
> 20 largest markets.

At that point, the AM station was still WTAO.  It didn't become WXHR until
a few years later.

Which makes it curious that the TV call was changed from WTAO-TV to
WXHR-TV for that experiment.  What did they broadcast during that
experiment?  Just a test pattern, or did they have programs?  They
certainly weren't listed in any TV listings that I ever saw.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/