WNLC

- -- [ From: Robert W. Paine * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

 WNLC opened Sept.13, 1936 as a 100-watt daytime station on 1490 kc./kHz
. Studios were on one of the upper floors of the Mohican Hotel, 281
State Street, New London; later moved to second floor. The transmitter
was located on City Pier on the Thames River. Affiliation was with
Mutual, Yankee and Colonial. WNLC went to fulltime status around 1938 or
1939, and raised power to 250 watts by 1941.
 In the early 1960's the studios and offices were moved to the new
transmitter location on Foster Road on the north side of I-95 at the
Crossroads exit in Waterford, appr. 3 miles from the former location.
WNLC became an ABC-Information affiliate in the early to mid 60's.
 The tower array is (as best I can recall after twenty years) eight -
six slightly southwest with two in back. I lived not more than two miles
- - probably more like one mile - in a straight line from the Foster Road
site and could easily see the towers. In the winter months we could
detect NO signal presence prior to the morning pattern switch, while
WMEX came in literally like a local. Like we were within the main
contour. As a ham radio operator I'd give WMEX signal a 5 by 9, which is
full-quieting, no fading, no background noise. And we heard every nuance
you would have heard at the best reception location in Boston. It was
indistinguishable from a local signal.
 On the other hand, WNLC had nothing until it went to the day pattern.
No detectable carrier even when the radio was pointed directly at the
transmitter, which I did to my grandparent's set several times. The
station may as well not have been on the air as far as our area of
Waterford was concerned. We were a quater-mile inland from the Niantic-
Waterford bay and WMEX was the only Boston station we received with any
clarity at any time. WBZ and, occasionally WRKO, were readable but were
of course overpowered by WTIC or WNBC.