Re: FW: Oops 7/4...and WRKO!

At 04:20 AM 7/13/97 +0000, you wrote:

>So far as I can tell right now, the book does not chronicle the changes in
>the FM calls to WQXQ and WQXR-FM.  Since it was published in 1973, it does
>not, of course, detail the change of the AM station into WQEW.

Well, if the change in the FM calls to WQXQ happened after I was born (and I
guess it did), I don't remember it. But I DO remember the change from WQXQ
to WQXR-FM. I think WQXQ did not become WQXR-FM until after it moved from
the old FM band (around 42 MHz) to the current band. For some period of
time, stations simulcast on both bands.

I remember a neighbor who was a very ostentatious person. He had a huge
mahogany Scott console radio in his living room and he would listen to WQXQ
(or WQXR-FM) on that radio each evening. One evening he invited me to hear
the wonders of this marvelous machine so long as I promised to be very
still. To my ears, it sounded OK but not great. I had to keep still, but he
went on and on about what a wonderful instrument this radio-phonograph was
and how awful it was that it would soon be obsolete because the FM stations
were moving to a new band that his radio could not receive. I suggested to
him that he could buy a converter (they did become available), but I don't
think he liked the idea because, as far as I know, converters were not
available in mahogany cases.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205