Re: KCBS and WBZ

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> I wonder if ultimately most other news stations will follow WBZ and do news mainly during the week...

Well, given that only the CBS-es of the world have the resources to
do radio news in major markets, the choice is up to them.  I wonder how
WINS and WCBS will continue to co-exist in New York under common ownership
without one or the other bowing out.

> Are we seeing the end of radio news (gasp)?

All expensive formats are on the decline, even in major markets.  Where it
will end is anyone's guess.

> San Jose State University no longer offers radio as a major anymore--
> students just want to do TV...

Pretty smart students, I'd have to say.  Look at the current
entry-level job market in radio!

> there is a campus station, but it operates with a combination of
> faculty (!), community members, and some students.  To
> their credit, they are trying to get more students involved, but now they
> have to offer incentives-- remember when you and I would do just about
> anything to get on the air, even as a volunteer???

Those were the days!  At least there are some stations, such as the
University of New Hampshire's WUNH, which are still operated by students
and alumni.  WMPG, the University of Southern Maine station, started
devoting a major portion of their schedule to non-students over a
decade ago *by design*! And of course it's still funded in large part
by mandatory student activity fees! With an attitiude like that, it's no
wonder students no longer care as much as they did about radio.

Take care,

Chris, who was recently offered a job doing jock liners for hard drive
automation a few hours a week at $6.00 an hour.  Is that what over fifteen
years of radio experienece gets you these days???