Re: WNFT / WRKO / WEEI tower sites

At 11:07 PM 6/18/97 +0000, you wrote:
>...and when 850 switches to night, the pattern is yanked in even more from
>the west, right?  With the same relative output at night, just where does
>the signal go, due north?

Absolutely, WEEI's daytime pattern has a small lobe to the west, as does
WRKO's day pattern. (Actually, the plot of the WRKO's daytime standard
pattern shows a pair of small lobes to the west summetrical about the axis
of the towers.) At night, WEEI's standard pattern has a single null to the
west in place of the day pattern's minor lobe, whereas WRKO's night pattern
has a trio of very small lobes to the west and a pair of deep, broad nulls.
A null to the northwest protects CBF; one to the southwest protects WPTF
(and also WCBM, though I'm not sure that WCBM was there when the array was
designed).

At night, what happens to the energy that went west during the day? First
off, integrated around 360 degrees, it's insignificant compared with the
energy in the main lobe. In WEEI's case, I think most of the energy goes
northwest and southwest, though. Remember, the Boston 850 precedes by
decades the Montreal 850 (actually Verdun, if memory serves) and all of the
850s to the southwest of Boston. In WRKO's case, the day pattern actually
has a shallow null to the east. That null pretty much disappears in the
night pattern.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205