Re: WBZ / WBZA

<<On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 21:51:52 -0400 (EDT), NewHUC@aol.com said:

> Yeah... I understand that the signal WLS puts out during the day can be
> pretty clearly read for several hundred miles... that midwestern ground
> conductivity (along with the Great Lakes) really is different from here in
> the east...

Which is why the station with the largest groundwave coverage in the
US is WNAX 570 in Yankton, S.D.  Half-wave tower, long wavelength,
5-kW non-directional, and 30 milliSiemens/meter ground conductivity.
I understand that the tower was the tallest self-supporting structure
in the US when it was built in the early 40s.  (They were able to get
the steel because the morale and informedness of farmers was
considered important to the war effort.)

- -GAWollman

- --