Re: WBZ / WBZA

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Martin J. Waters wrote:
>         I'm surprised by the comment that reception of WBZ was bad in
> Amherst. Perhaps this is true in steel frame buildings such as many of
> those at UMass, but the signal elsewhere is pretty decent--certainly you
> can listen to it. But it is a comment on the really bad ground conductivity
> in New England. Amherst is only about 85 miles from Hull. And they're using
> a directional aimed toward Amherst with the equivalent of, contributors to
> this group believe, at least 100kW. Out in the Midwest, the former Class IA
> stations in Chicago, for example, put signals out much farther than WBZ can
> manage.

WBZ is OK during the day in Amherst, especially with a car radio.  At
night, reception is not very good.  It is in that gap around 90 miles
where you're too close for skywave and must depend on a weakening
groundwave signal.

Of course living in a dorm constructed of steel reinforced concrete
and filled with students watching their idiot boxes didn't help my cause
either.  ;-)

Alexander R Svirsky  N1PRW      /_______ {        atlas@world.std.com
                                        \,}_)
                                          ^ .