Re: WNDS-TV Ch 50

On 10 June 1997 at 9:00 p.m., you wrote:

>This makes me wonder:
>
>Is the station still for sale?
>
>Was this all just a ploy to attempt to get rid of the unions?

I would find that hard to believe, considering that you just don't pull
"stunts," such as that one, involving lawyers, banks, et al, just for the
sake of eliminating the union. IMHO, you could do a lot easier things to
boot a union out the door. What probably happnened was that CTV of Derry
(they were the former/new owners) probably got a nice offer from this
outfit, which was concerned with getting itself into Boston homes.
Sometimes, you get offers too good to be true. Looks like this one might
have been.

Mentioning the still-for-sale possibility: Another home shopping TV
operator might come in and snap up Channel 50. If Channel 50 returns to the
way it was pre-home shopping, it should be quite a neat station again,
something which I lamented losing from the dial in its first go-round. Then
again, Paxson already owns Channel 60 in southern New Hampshire,
thankfully.

PS... I believe the bowling program still is on the air, it was supposedly
the only thing which remained on following Global's puchase.

Sean Smyth
Smyth Sports Enterprises
10 Linley Terrace
South Boston, Mass. 02127
617/268-7012
Metropolitan Boston's leader in local sports broadcasting
ssmyth@tiac.net