Re: WJIB's Bells

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Rob Landry wrote:

> > As has already been mentioned here recently, call letters cannot be
> > trademarked.
>
> Why not?

I think it's FCC policy to assign new call letters upon application,
regardless of trademark laws.  And, under trademark law as I've always
understood it, when you stop using the trademark, you relinquish rights to
it.  I still don't think there's any such thing as the ten-year waiting
period, but without checking, I'm unwilling to make that a =legal
opinion=.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/