Re: WJIB's Bells

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, KEVIN VAHEY wrote:

>   Not a lawyer but couldn't one argue that once the call letters WJIB were
> turned back in, the trademark would become moot?

No. The station could have changed its call letters and still used the
bells.  The trademark rights are lost if it isn't used.

>  Besides since "bells" are an accepted worldwide way of telling time I
> really doubt you could trademark them....... solution?   record the bells
> on a boat on the Charles River and have pigeons instead of
> seagulls...THAT'S BOSTON!

Generic bells couldn't be trademarked, but a certain sound of bells
probably could.  I have no doubt, for example, that the NBC chimes are
trademarked.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/