Re: Nova Scotia Boston DX

At 11:44 AM 6/3/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Joe Ross asks:
>
> Bob says that that gives 'BZ an ERP of 100kw to the west; given
>the way the signal bombs across the eastern US, I can believe that.

100 kW is conservative. Given that most stations use less efficient antennas
(the minimum efficiency for most classes of AMs is 175 mV/m/kW--unattenuated
at 1 mile) and WBZ (and nearly all other Class Is) uses half-wave towers,
which produce in excess of 240 mv/m/kW, the effect is more like 200 kW.
Operating nondirectionally, a Class I's 50 kW produces a signal equivalent
to what most other AM stations would need 100 kW to produce. Of course
coverage is another issue. It depends on frequency, and has been so well
discussed in this thread, soil conductivity.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205