Re: WHEB-AM...RIP

'A. Joseph Ross' wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, BUMP MARTIN wrote:
>
> > Seems that's why Ernie Boch did it on the cape.  He coulda sold it....
> > But turned the AM over to BU...and that assures him that someone *else*
> > won't be trying to sell advertising in his territory...
>
> And he probably got a good tax writeoff.  So why couldn't WHEB find some
> college or other nonprofit institution to turn the station over to for the
> tax writeoff?  Or did they get more for the land and equipment than they
> would have in the tax writeoff?

>   A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
>   15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
>   Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/

They, as far as history recalls, got nothing for the land...because they
are still using it.  The AM and FM occupied the same building...both as
studio space and a transmitter location.  They just recently expanded
the building because it now contains two FM operations and one AM.
As for the equipment, I would imagine most of what could not be used for
production went to Knight's other AM stations in the state....and  I
believe some was donated to the Portsmouth Children's Museum, which is a
place where kids can go and get some "hands-on" experience.

Dan Cole
WTSN / WBYY
Dover, NH