Re: Phasing; was: "QUAD" Broadcasts.....

Roger Kirk wrote:

> Ed Hennessy wrote:
>
> I said, about WLKW-FM:
>
> > One Saturday during a thunderstorm, the FM suddenly went off the air.
>  The
> >engineer at the WNAC transmitter site in Rehoboth said that lightning
> had
> >struck the tower and had knocked the electricity out of phase.
>
> Any possibility that the engineer meant "lightning knocked out a phase"
> (one phase [out of three] was missing) and it was interpreted as "
> knocked outta phase"?

Not that I'm a technical wizard, but I recall our engineers at WTSN
telling me that we have three main power circuits coming into the
station.  They refer to them as phases 1,2,and 3 and each one has its
own reading on the meter.  We sometimes have outages that impact one or
two phases, which leaves some power but usually not enough to run the
xmtr, so we switch on the generator, which is powerful enough to run
everything.

Mayhaps this is what they were referring to?  (or am I off-base, which
wouldn't be the first time :)  )

Dan Cole
WTSN / WBYY
Dover, NH