Re: 620 AM / DX from Vt.

Then Doug Bassett wrote:
>WDEV (550 Waterbury) and WVMT (620 Burlington) are about it for AM DX (other
>than 1380 Rutland & 1390 Burlington; the rest are "graveyard" sigs...) WVMT
>would be oldies, if formats stay true to form....

        WVMT is the normal nighttime DX pickup on 620 in the New Haven,
Conn,. area. It's usually relatively weak but steady with almost no
interfering signals behind it. I've always figured their pattern must be
favorable in this direction while everybody else on 620 in the
Northeast/Middle Atlantic just happens to be aiming elsewhere.

        620 is like a lot of the low-on-the-dial regional channels--mostly
old stations with relatively high protection levels so there are not very
many stations on the channel, it's not totally trashed at night, and you
actually get some listenable skywave, even though it's incidental.

        In the day, we get the Newark, New Jersey, station (Spanish) on 620
here, but it vanishes at night. However, the N.J. station has a C.P. to do
something weird--reduce to 3 kw day and up to 7.6 kw night or something
like that. So who knows what 620 will sound like at night pretty soon in
these parts. Perhaps Mr. Strassberg knows about the ins-and-outs of this
C.P.?