RE: payola, 1960

Roger wrote:
>Up in Maine (where I grew up) the "Payola Scandals"
>were just a "national thing" and mention of specific Boston DJ's somehow
>never reached my ears (or eyes).  Did Boston radio ever report about
>Payola (and point fingers) or did they leave that to the newspapers?

My recollection is that Boston radio said little about it.  But, for obvious
reasons, print journalism-- especially the newspapers, jumped on it.  Print
had long had an adversarial and highly competitive relationship with radio,
and here was the chance for a little 'payback'.  All of the Boston papers,
especially the 'scandal sheets' were all over the story, as were Variety and
Broadcasting.   I don't recall whether or not TV covered it-- TV news was
still in its development phase.  Does anyone else recall whether or not the
payola scandals made TV?