RE: newspapers versus radio-- 1947

Donna Halper Wrote:

>So, since we were discussing how WBZ airs commercials for other stations
>(even for their competition), back in the "good old days", the lines
were
>drawn a bit more strictly. Case in point: on 6 August, 1947, WCCM in
>Lawrence went on the air.  But you would never have known it from
reading
>the Lawrence Evening Tribune.  Because the Tribune still owned WLAW, the
>paper totally ignored WCCM.  Never mentioned it, despite the fact that
>George Jaspert was a local resident and had been an advertiser in the
past.
>The Tribune did allow (!) WCCM to buy a large ad about the new station,
and
>the ad was placed on the radio page.  But other than that, not a single
>mention-- not even in the radio listings.  (Jaspert had even worked for
WLAW
>in years past, so you would think that as a courtesy, they would have
given
>a small write-up.... but NOOOOOO)

Same thing with WXPO-TV Channel 50 - The Lowell Sun unequivocally refused
to accept any advertising.  One of the many, many things that doomed
Channel 50 e.g. the Windham NH building inspector who refused to issue an
occupancy permit for the Transmitter Building (a pre-fab house) because
there were no wastebaskets in the bathroom& kitchen.