Re: Quad sound, was: First in FM Rock in Boston......

On Wed, 7 May 1997 ehenness@natick-amed02.army.mil wrote:

> How many other stations gave it a try in New England?  Did it fail for
> technical reasons, or because the public never really embraced quad
> receivers?  Did quad work similarly to stereo with a pilot tone for a
> decoder?

As I recall, quad phonograph records came out in the late 60s, at a time
when two-channel stereo records were still pretty new.  A lot of people
just weren't willing to junk the two-channel equipment they had just paid
a pretty penny for.  And for anyone living in an apartment or dorm, quad
stereo may be difficult to enjoy without disturbing others down the hall.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/