Re: Quad sound

>How many other stations gave it a try in New England?  Did it fail for
>technical reasons, or because the public never really embraced quad
>receivers?  Did quad work similarly to stereo with a pilot tone for a
>decoder?
>
>Ed Hennessy

There was no pilot tone or additional subcarriers, it was simply done
through phase control on a standard stereo signal, which could be decoded
by an adapter from the audio outputs of a standard stereo reciever.  Kinda
like "surround sound" is being done now, but the public didn't fall for it
back then.

The station I remember doing it for a brief stint, I think around 1973 or
1974 in New York was WQIV 104.3, which after that went back to being WNCN.

I seem to remember that one of the chief proponents of quad was one Harry
Maynard, who wrote for several audiphile magazines and hosted the weekly
program "Men of HI-FI" on WNYC.  He also tried to publish a "Radio Guide"
(or was it "FM Guide") magazine in New York, which I believed also had a
Boston edition.  I wonder if anyone knows if Harry is still around and what
he may be doing these days.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH