Re: Payola

<< Most historians think that those who were charged were
 charged because SOMEBODY was expected to be, and as Alan Freed asked, what
 is the difference between what we are accused of and what you congressmen do
 when you accept gifts from lobbyists?  He never got an answer, and he died
 before he could officially be banned from radio for life... meanwhile,
 payola/lobbying goes on...   >>

I'm not that familiar with the 1950's payola scandal but there is a
difference between lobbying and promotion and out right bribery.  The key
point is if there is a direct relationship between the gift and an action
benfiting the ;giver of the gift.  If a record company agrees to give a radio
station or a radio personality free tickets (or money) in exchange for the
station (or personality) agreeing to play a record than that is illegal.
 What was going on in the 50's was that people were playing songs becuase
they were being paid and not playing equally good (or better) songs becuase
they were not being paid.  It is only natural that a record company is more
likely to provide promotional materials to a station that plays it's product
than a station that does not, but it is only illegal if it is a direct
benefit for playing their music.  There is sometimes a fine line (just like
in politics), but it is easy to spot out right bribery and that is wrong.

I worked with a guy once who would mention a local tavern on his show and the
tavern would give him free drinks.  This guy was steeling from the station by
providing advertsing to this establishment.  I have worked with other
perosnalities who occassionally mention local businesses as part of the local
color on their show.  Did they receive preferentail treatment at these
establishments as a result? Probably.  Was their a direct relationship
between the two? No.  The first situation I described is clearly wrong, the
second situation is one of those on the fine line.

I have never heard of a record company paying a station to play a song in
recent years.  That it what was going on in the 1950's.  Do record companies
shower stations, music directors and program directors with free tickets, CDs
and promotional materials? Sure.  But the important point is that they do it
for every station and there is no direct relationship to the station playing
their product.  Actually, if you hold out from playing their music, you will
likely get more attention.