Re: The "Ivy Network"

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Rob Landry wrote:

> According to David Elliott, the current chairman of WHRB's board of
> trustees, the Ivy Network was a student-run national rep firm that
> represented at first just the Ivy League college stations, but eventually
> stations at a number of other colleges as well.  Almost all the stations
> were carrier-current AMs, since the FMs at most colleges were
> non-commercial.

In that case, I probably heard it on WHRB, since I was never in an Amherst
College dorm and never heard the carrier-current WAMF, if there was one.

> The original carrier-current WHRB continued to operate into the seventies
> largely because there were national advertisers willing to buy time on it
> through the Ivy Network.

But doesn't WHRB have a commercial license?  If not, what are they doing
at 95.3 (and 107.1 before that), rather than in the non-commercial band?

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/