Connecticut Pay-TV experiment (was Connecticut TV)

     That controversial Pay-TV experiment occured from 1962 until 1969
on WHCT-TV, Channel 18 in Hartford.  It was a joint venture between RKO
General (then the owner of Channel 18) and Zenith Corporation.  It was
called "Phonovision".  Without getting into any specifics, it was a dismal
failure.  The main reason "Phonovision" didn't succeed was that it could
not transmit in color.  I was told that in 1964, "My Fair Lady" was on
"Phonovision" with much hoopla.  Naturally, those with color sets were
less than satisfied when this great motion picture was only in black and
white.  (or was it "Mary Poppins")
     Channel 18 returned to full time "in the clear" fare until the station
was given as a gift to "Faith Center" (that's Dr. euGene Scott's
Christianity for cash operation).  Channel 18 is a historical station that
simply has NEVER been operated properly throughout its' over 40 year history.
But what a history, indeed !!!!!

- -Pete-

Peter Q. George, N1GGP                  *  "Scanning the bands since 1967 !"
P.O. Box 1183                           *                  +
Randolph, Massachusetts 02368-1183      *                  |
USA                                     *      73         +|+    de N1GGP
PGEORGE@wellesley.edu                   *                +\|/+
XERB@bigfoot.com                        *               + \|/ +