WITS....and their famous 50kw upgrade...

>We are all due to remember the famous WITS....for
>years they talked about a power increase to fulltime 50kw...  When it
finally
>did come...the signal only changed over the water... !!!

Not true. Because of the _lack_ of a salt water path and the abysmal soil
conductivity in the vicinity of the Waltham site, the daytime signal actually
suffered, notwithstanding the half-wave towers at the Waverly Oaks location.
(The
towers in Squantum were only quarter wave.) However, the 50 kW nighttime
signal
definitely improved reception in most of the market.
<<

Debatable....Going north on 93 at night...Once I step outside of 128 they are
tough to listen to.

Whatever the facts...Seeing that WITS/WMRE, etc...went downhill pretty fast
after that...I don't think they ever made back the dough$$$ that they shelled
out for the site/signal upgrade...

Paul Kelley was there then wasn't he?  I remember hearing from his son that
the folks at 1510 were dissappointed with the end results of their upgrade.
 Apparently they were told/sold a plan that would give them a signal
comparable to WRKO and WBZ.....