Shutdown of boston-radio-interest list

~Bill ecps92@earthlink.net
Thu Nov 30 14:45:55 EST 2023

Hold on till 30 yrs, only 4 more to go :)

A nice run, considering some of the other venues that hosted List-servers
have been bought, sold, retired
E-List, One-List, YahooGroups.

As an outsider, the list was fun to watch and the few times I did
participate, was welcomed.

Each and Everyone left, Stay/Keep Safe

Bill - N1KUG
Boston, Mass
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Boston-Radio-Interest
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@lists.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Garrett Wollman
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2023 2:31 PM
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Shutdown of boston-radio-interest list

Hi, all,

This mailing-list was originally created in 1997, at a time when both radio
and the Internet were in a very different situation than they are now.
Broadcasting was experiencing paroxysms of consolidation, which has largely
now ended, but was still quite vibrant and the medium through which many if
not most people were exposed to news, new music, and political views.  In
the Internet, it was still reasonably possible for anyone to operate public
services like web and mail servers on pretty much any machine that had a
full-time network connection.

We no longer live in that world, and people no longer view mailing-lists
like this one as an easy and low-effort way to exchange news and views.  So
too has local radio largely gone by the wayside, as consolidation has led to
more national programming and a continuous push to cut expenses like
staffing (both on-air and behind the scenes).  Many of the industry pros who
joined this list have retired; several are deceased, including Bob Bittner,
whose "Let's Talk About Radio" show was one of the inspirations for this
list.  Traffic here has dwindled to a trickle, with six months this year
seeing no legitimate submissions at all.  It's time to hang up the cans.

The archives will remain publicly accessible on bostonradio.org for as long
as I'm able to keep it going, but this mailing-list, which depends on the
unmaintained GNU Mailman 2.x, will be shut down on December 31, 2023.  I am
sending this advance notice to allow those who wish to post any final words
or reminiscences.  It's been nice knowing you all; do keep in touch.

-GAWollman