Shutdown of boston-radio-interest list

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Mon Dec 4 17:56:08 EST 2023

Thank You Garrett for starting the list and keeping it going all these years. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. As many have mentioned in their comments, a lot has changed in the industry since this list started and social media and other group chat sites have become more of a way to share opinions than a mailing list. I too recall the group gathering we had at Gary’s Ice Cream followed by the live broadcast of his WCAP Saturday Night Sock Hop show from the parking lot in his trailer that you could say brought back memories of the WBZ Sundeck Studio trailer. A lot of information, opinions, technical talk, remembrances of and tributes to radio folks (both members of this list and non-members) who passed on were shared here.

I hope to continue sharing news and thoughts on the industry on the new groups.io site that Bob DeMattia has graciously offered to set up (Thank You Bob for doing so). And Thank You to all on this list who contributed to many informative and fun conversations.

Mark Watson

From: Garrett Wollman
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2023 2:31 PM
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Shutdown of boston-radio-interest list

Hi, all,

This mailing-list was originally created in 1997, at a time when both
radio and the Internet were in a very different situation than they
are now.  Broadcasting was experiencing paroxysms of consolidation,
which has largely now ended, but was still quite vibrant and the
medium through which many if not most people were exposed to news, new
music, and political views.  In the Internet, it was still reasonably
possible for anyone to operate public services like web and mail
servers on pretty much any machine that had a full-time network
connection.