WATD and WMEX

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Dec 3 23:45:43 EST 2019

<<On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 02:11:16 -0500, Eli Polonsky <elipolo881@gmail.com> said:

> Ed Perry's WMEX is non-directional, requiring much less power at night
> under still-current FCC restrictions. Ed doesn't want the expense of
> constructing and maintaining a directional antenna system. I doubt the
> original directional WMEX sent much more than 100 watts west/southwest at
> night though 5 kW was going up the New England coast and out to sea.

And in particular, there's no point in investing much in a night
signal if most of your listenership is going to be on FM anyway.  Ed
should be commended for actually operating at night, even with
pipsqueak power, because the cross-band translator rules allow
"translators" to operate at night even if the parent station doesn't.
(Cross-band translators are not required to use an off-air pickup or
even be located within the interference-free contour of the parent
station.)

-GAWollman