WMEX lives

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Jul 2 21:47:58 EDT 2018

<<On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 20:56:01 -0400, "Jim Hall" <aerie.ma@comcast.net> said:

> This is probably a dumb question, but since 1510 is using one of the
> 1260 towers, which are very close to where 1510's towers were before
> the move to Waltham, could 1510 use additional WBIX towers and
> develop a pattern similar to what WMEX had in the good ol' days?

Plausible, but given the business model of this purchase (basically,
to have a facility that will serve as a parent for a translator and
whose programming will be directed at the translator listenership) it
doesn't necessarily make economic sense.  If you're Perry, you want to
get a licenseable facility on the air so it can be a parent to your
translator -- not replicate the "good old days".

> Even with the 5kW WMEX had from Quincy, it very easily served
> cities/towns up and down the coast at night, including Boston. My
> parents used to listen to Jerry Williams and Steve Fredericks in
> coastal NH and Maine. Inland was another matter of course, but 5kW
> up and down the coast sounds like a more sustainable proposition
> than flea power at night covering Quincy and not much else.  I think
> WBIX has 3 not quite inline towers, whereas I think WMEX from Quincy
> only used two towers.

The old 5-kW 1510 facility only had to protect one station, WLAC in
Nashville.[1]  (Because it was That Old -- WLAC has a big null in the
direction of Boston.)  Any new 1510 facility has to protect not only
WLAC but all the other stations left on 1510 (including those dead
Canadian stations), because it's now junior to them.

-GAWollman

[1] The 50-kW 1510 facility *also* protected KGA Spokane, which it
wouldn't have to today, but I'm not sure if it actually had to so then
or it was just a design convenience to get symmetric nulls with modest
backfill out of the old four-tower rhombus array.