WCAP

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Dec 30 08:24:24 EST 2017

Bill O'Neill wrote:

>It’s been my understanding that WCAP (980 kHz, 5 kW DA-2) has been operating on its 1 kW back-up for a considerable >period. Also, that the directional array may be compromised (and under water thanks to beavers). Can anyone shine >some light on this?

>I know that when visiting the area, I could catch the signal well at the Hooksett toll, and then like a local In Manchester. >Not even close now.

The WCAP signal is not as strong as it used to be, and I do believe the directional array is out of sorts. On night pattern it should not put a usable signal in South Nashua. It doesn't put much of a usable night signal down towards the northern Boston suburbs most nights. Some nights the co-channel 980 in Troy overpowers them in South Tewksbury. Although a few weeks ago I was in Manchester during the day and I was able to hear it with a usable signal.

I'm not sure what the situation is with the transmitter plant, except for the fact the generator at the transmitter site hasn't worked in a long time. When there's a power outage in that area, they're off the air.

Mark Watson