top-40 in 1957

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri May 30 04:04:46 EDT 2014

On 5/30/2014 3:45 AM, Richard Chonak wrote:
> If that was the case in the 1950s also, a true "banned in Boston" label
> for a song probably was not possible.

My point exactly.  I do think there was a national perception, based on
years of the "Watch and Ward Society" and other censors banning movies
and plays and books, that any controversial song must have been "banned
in Boston." But I cannot find any documentation for the claim about the
Everly Brothers song anywhere-- just the statement that it was banned,
without any proof to support it.  And even in those conservative times
during the 1950s, a hit was a hit-- some rather suggestive stuff did in
fact get on the air.  And I truly do not believe that ALL the stations
in Boston banned the song, although I am certain the Church huffed and
puffed about it...