Stronger HD Signals

Nickolas Noseworthy ncn86@hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:46:37 EDT 2014

>The FCC now allows all FM stations to increase to -14 dBC, which is >approximately 3% of analog power. With a showing of no interference, >stations can go all the way to -10 dBC, or 10% of analog power. I >believe WKLB is now using -14 and has experimented with -10.
With no show of interference? What does the digital band interfere with that would make it so detrimental to move beyond a measly 3%? I understand that we don't want HD signals shooting outside of the analog stations coverage area. But the HD signal should at least cover up to the fringe area of the analog signal. If I can listen to Kiss 108 in my house with a great analog signal, the HD signal should be there as well.  >But there's a significant cost associated with raising HD power - not >just a higher-powered transmitter but also replacing much of the >transmission infrastructure (combiners, circulators, etc.) that connects >the HD transmitter to the antenna. This is especially difficult at a >shared site like the Pru. And so far, there's no return on investment to >justify that kind of capital expenditure.
So I guess my next question is, what needs to be done for HD Radio to bring a return on investment? What about leasing an HD sub-channel? What about leasing time on a sub-channel, such as Haitian or Irish? Instead of paying for a mediocre AM signal and bad sound , they could give that same money to a bigger FM with CD sound? Or just getting more AM stations to simulcast on HD sub-channels? (not just stations you own). Stations could then be promoting HD radio, and that would drive listeners to stores to have a listen. As more people buy these receivers, prices will go down. But for right now, there has to be a way to raise money so that stations will find it viable to upgrade their IBOC systems. The more options and variety you put on your main channel and sub-channels, coupled with more power, it seems only logical that an increase in listernship would occur. Which would mean more revenue. Please tell me if I'm wrong.