Is WSRO-AM 650 Testing Its Modest Power Increase?

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Mon Jun 16 07:22:44 EDT 2014

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014, Bob Nelson wrote:

> After Radio Free Allston was shut down by the FCC, they made an effort
> to get on legally as Allston-Brighton Free Radio. One day as they made
> their debut I drove around the area a bit and tuned to 1670 or wherever
> they were. They reached a few blocks. The founder, Steve Provizer I
> think, was giving a speech on air and he said he was happy they were on
> but he was also angry because he could only reach that small area
> legally, etc. (Some said later that they were probably pushing beyond
> legal limits).

The only way to make this work would be to create a network of synchronous
Part 15 transmitters and feed them all from a common source. It might be
doable, but would probably not be cheap. To cover a market the size of
Boston you'd need hundreds of the things, and they'd all have to be linked
by wi-fi devices like those sold by Ubiquiti.

Rob