Rhode Island names and other odd naming conventions

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Sun Apr 7 08:52:47 EDT 2013

On Apr 7, 2013, at 3:28 AM, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mass DOT now has a proposal that will make traffic reporters cringe.
>
> They want to make Rte 3 to the Sagamore Bridge I-93 and the what was 128
> from Braintree to Dedham I-193.

That proposal makes so much more sense than the current configuration where I-93 continues past Braintree out to Canton.

How long would it take traffic reporters to adjust to this new reality?  Couple of days?  There would be so much publicity about such a change that the public would be way ahead of them.  Then, to reference I-193, it would be clear exactly what piece of road they were speaking.

Maybe, then the MA 3 name from Boston to Sagamore could finally be retired.  I doubt if anyone follows 3 approaching Boston to its end at the BU bridge, where US 3 starts.  Or just extend US 3 over the former MA 3 route to where it joins I-93.  I literally cannot remember where it does that.

Paul