Over digitalized and processed music

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Fri Jun 22 20:49:23 EDT 2012

A number of days back, I passed by WERS and heard the song West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys.  I love that song but it was almost unlistenable.  If you know the song, you know the beginning has some street sound effects with footsteps.  The volume of that quiet part was brought up so much that I could clearly hear the compression bring the beginning of the song down when it started.  I was shocked a college station would do such a thing.

I thought compression technology had improved so much by 2012 that you wouldn't hear the "pumping" that you would hear, especially when Sy Dresner would fool around with the compression on WCCC-FM in the late '70s.

It's too bad that radio is no longer for people who like music.

Paul