War o fthe worlds

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Jul 12 11:52:30 EDT 2012

On 7/12/2012 11:27 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> That suggests that, when WNEW and WOV swapped frequencies and Tx sites,
> a second tower must have been added in South Kearney. I think 1250 was
> originally ND-U (5 kW-D/1 kW-N) and probably became 5 kW DA-1 only later
> (requiring the addition of a second tower in Carlstadt). A second tower
> for 1250 in Kearney would not have been in the right place for 1130,
> which was (and still is) deeply nulled to the southwest at night to
> protect co-channel Class A KWKH in Shreveport LA.

No, no, no - the only things that swapped in December 1941 were the
callsigns. WNEW 1280, broadcasting from Carlstadt, became WOV. WOV 1130,
broadcasting from South Kearney, became WNEW.

The South Kearney site was never on 1250 (1280), and the Carlstadt site
was never on 1130 (or 1100).

The second tower for 1280 in Carlstadt was definitely added later on.
I'd have to do some more digging to figure out when the Kearney 1130
array arrived at its final two-tower configuration.