Any ETA when CKGM moves to 690?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Jan 9 10:57:01 EST 2012

On 1/9/2012 2:33 AM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> It has been a couple of months since CKGM was awarded the clear channel 690
> in Montreal after convincing the CRTC is was the only way the station could
> survive.
>
> Any ETA when the switch might happen?

The move will require some pretty extensive construction. Cogeco won't
make the former CINF 690 site (the old CFCF/CIQC 600 site at Kahnawahke,
south of Montreal) available to anyone else, and the old CBF 690 site at
Brossard, east of Montreal, has been dismantled.

IIRC, Bell's plan was to put CKGM 690 at the existing CKGM 990 site
south of Montreal, but that will require a new phasor at the very least,
and probably more than that, because part of the Bell application was a
promise to continue to make the existing 990 facilities available to a
new licensee, which will be Evanov's "Radio Fierte." That means
diplexers and new transmission lines and so on, and that requires some
time - you don't buy that stuff off the shelf.

I would guess that CKGM on 690 is likely to show up around the time the
next Habs season starts in the fall. I'd be surprised to see it happen
much sooner.