TV political ad question

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 16:43:15 EDT 2012

On 8/3/2012 4:01 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> I would just like to point out, for the record, that the notion of an
> objective press is a recent invention....

Objectivity is in the eye of the beholder.  Even a journalist who is
known to be quite balanced can evidence a bias by the simple nature of
the subjects and people booked by the journalist.  The questions NOT
posed can shed light on bias.  The follow-up pattern to responses can
be, likewise, revelatory.

Bias is inherent in every individual regardless as to whether or not we
intentionally set forth to propagate that point of view.  It is the
degree to which it skews the through-put or  output of the story that is
the thing.  And the degree to which the consumer of the journalist's
product recognizes bias is generally linked to the degree to which the
consumer and the journalist are similarly mapped in terms of their
meta-narrative.

Bill O'Neill