Spring Cume numbers are stunning

Howard Glazer hmglaz@att.net
Fri Jul 15 11:09:23 EDT 2011

Kevin Vahey wrote:

>I honestly don't think country has gotten that big in Boston - the lack >of country music clubs would back me up.

Adult contemporary is even bigger than country in Boston. Where are all the adult contemporary clubs?

While you weren't looking, country music went national -- and mainstream. I can certainly believe WKLB's PPM numbers in Boston, because WKLB is playing artists like Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts who also get saturation exposure on AC radio stations. Country is also growing in its appeal to younger demographics nationally, and has been for years, while retaining a decent percentage of its older listeners, largely through making sure that old-timers like George Strait and Reba McEntire remain relevant to radio.

Boston has (rightly or wrongly) a reputation as a rock and AC market rather than a rhythmic/urban one. Seems only logical to me that country would catch on big in such a market as the music drifts toward those two genres. You don't need to look for clubs to gauge how strong it is; just check out what's playing more and more in offices and retail establishments.

Howard