WEIM call letter change

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Oct 31 23:51:13 EDT 2010

On 10/31/2010 8:32 PM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> WILD may be second in Boston after WBZ for same calls and freq

WILD got its current calls in September 1957.  WLYN 1360, since 1947
surpasses it on the AM band.  There are also some FM stations that have
had their present calls and frequencies longer.  See below.

> Commercial FM WBOS has never changed nor has WHRB.
> Sent on from my BlackBerry® so typos are because of tiny keys

WHRB did change from 107.1 sometime around 1959.  WERS began on 88.1 in
1949, but moved to the present 88.9 in 1950, which means that it
surpasses WILD.  WGBH does, too, since 1951 on 89.7.   WBUR began in
1950, but it had one call-letter change in 1997, from WBUR to WBUR-FM,
when it took over an AM on the Cape.  I leave it to others whether that
kind of change should count.

Thanks to the Boston Radio Archives for a lot of this information.  No,
my memory is good, but not that good.

A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856
Boston, MA 02109-2004     http://www.attorneyross.com