Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Rick Kelly rickkelly@gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 06:15:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Dave Doherty <dave@skywaves.net> wrote:

> IMO, the major thing that hurt the adoption of FM Stereo was that the system
> was a mix of an AM pilot at 19kHz and AM sidebands centered on 38kHz
> impressed on an FM carrier. It worked OK for static receivers with outdoor
> antennas and little or no multipath, but it was - and is - fundamentally
> dreadful for mobile reception.

And it's still pretty dreadful, IMO, even with circular polarization.
Back in the early eighties, car radio manufacturers began using the
automatic "stereo blend" feature - which crops off highs and reduces
stereo separation when signal quality degrades. For most folks, it
probably doesn't matter - but it annoys the heck out of me.

-Rick Kelly
northeastairchecks.com