WGBH may buy WCRB?

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Sun Sep 27 22:57:36 EDT 2009

At 10:47 PM 9/27/2009, Richard Chonak wrote:
>Larry Weil wrote:
>
>>I wonder if they are planning to use one of the HD subchannels on
>>89.7 to fill in the areas further to the south?  Although I realize
>>that the HD signals do not get out as well as the analog signals,
>>so this may be of limited use.  I noticed today that WGBH-HD-3 is
>>no longer there, it had been a rebroadcast of WCAI (GBH's Cape and
>>Islands station).
>
>How many people have any idea that there is such a thing as an HD-2
>or HD-3 channel on FM radio?   Just making a WAG, I expect there are
>more listeners to satellite radio than there are listeners to HD radio.

Oh, I have no doubt that you are correct.  But I think if WGBH/WCRB
were to make it known that an HD receiver would make it possible to
get the classical programming where they might not otherwise, a few
people might get them for that reason.  I get the feeling that a lot
more public radio listeners have HD radios than commercial radio
listeners, especially in areas where it's been promoted by the public stations.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH