WHMP on FM

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Sep 14 20:22:41 EDT 2009

Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
> A friend of mine who works for an AM station with an FM translator told me
> that the FM translator rebroadcasting their AM station is to be treated like
> a full power commercial station, in terms of ID'ing and must be done every
> hour just like the AM, this is according to the companies attorney.. but
> right now, it is totally escaping me what station.

That's not the way the new rules are written, at least in the last
version I saw. They treat AM-on-FM translators like any other
translator: you can ID them aurally three times daily at specified
times, or you can do it inaudibly by sending FSK code.

There was a push from some AM stations to give AM-on-FM translators
full-power-style calls - i.e., WHMP-FX - but the FCC declined to act on
that proposal.