WHMP on FM

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Sep 14 02:07:00 EDT 2009

I was in Amherst yesterday and, while listening to WHMP in
Northampton, heard an announcement that they were "now on FM at
96.9."  And sure enough, they were.  They don't seem to do a legal ID
for the FM station, though.  I heard a legal ID for the three
simulcasting AM stations, but the only mention of the FM station was
the "now on FM at 96.9" which accompanied the legal ID as it does
other station announcements.

When I checked in the late evening, even though the AM was on the
air, the FM station was silent.  Silent, but apparently not off the
air, since there was no hiss.

I don't know whether WHMP is still doing Air America or other
progressive talk.  All I heard was a call-in financial advice
program, and it sounded local, though I couldn't be sure.

On another local note, when I checked the Amherst Bulletin online
this week, I found last week's articles were still there.  I also
failed to find the free weekly at the two newsstands that I checked.
I don't know whether this means that it has been discontinued
suddenly.  I hope not, but it certainly must have suffered a drop in
the ad revenue that pays for the paper.