WTAG-TV?

vzeej5wn@myfairpoint.net vzeej5wn@myfairpoint.net
Fri Nov 20 12:32:57 EST 2009

Worcester was indeed a thriving radio market for many years.  During
the '60s, WORC and WAAB both had Top 40 formats and were hotly
competitive; WNEB, the smallest of the bunch, held the CBS affiliation,
and was oriented toward older listeners; and WTAG, the kingpin, was
with NBC, had a full-service format, and a powerful regional signal
that went well up into New Hampshire and Vermont.  It was arguably one
of the most prominent stations in New England, which adds to the
mystery as to why it would pass in the TV license.

As for the NBC affiliation, though WTAG was one of the first NBC
affiliates, it left the network in 1943, if memory serves, to join CBS
(formerly with WORC).  It would have been during the time of its CBS
affiliation that the station started building its TV studio.   WTAG
dropped CBS in the late fifties and was independent for several years
before reaffiliating with NBC around 1966.  It remained with the
network through the Westwood One transition, returned to CBS in the
early nineties, and is now with Fox.

Dick Wright, the former GM of WTAG, got together with some his
colleagues and tried to buy the station from the T&G before the
newspaper was sold to the San Francisco Chronicle.  Didn't happen,
obviously.

-Doug