Oprah Winfrey Show To End In 2011

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Thu Nov 19 19:43:01 EST 2009

  Oprah Winfrey will announce on her Friday "Oprah" show that her talk show
will end in 2011, which will be the show's 25th season. WCVB has aired
"Oprah" as the lead in to it's 5PM news for several years, helping WCVB hold
on to it's first place status among early evening newscasts, although I did
see somewhere recently that "Judge Judy" which airs on WBZ had edged ahead
of "Oprah" but couldn't hold the audience for it's 5 o'clock news. WMUR also
airs the show as a lead in to it's 5PM news. Oprah's production company
informed all the stations that carry the show of the impending announcement
today so they would not be surprised by Oprah's comments on Friday.

  Even though we're less than 2 years from the final "Oprah", one has to
wonder if the folks at Hearst are worried about seeing their longtime
ratings stronghold and strong news lead in counting down the months & days
till the final show.

   A link to a brief AP article from the Boston Globe's website:

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2009/11/19/winfrey_to_announce_friday_show_will_end_in_2011/

Mark Watson