Howie Carr remembers the heyday of WBCN

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Jul 19 13:37:14 EDT 2009

Nope! The affiliation with the New York station was with WNCN (New
York Concert Network). I may be mistaken but I think that what was
then WNCN is now Clear Channel's WAXQ. There was also at least one
more affiliate in the Concert Network, WHCN (IIRC) in Hartford. I have
no clue about what WHCN has since become, but someone will surely tell
us. Moreover, I'm pretty sure that the Concert Network had yet one
more station--in Providence. You might think that the calls would have
been WPCN, but I think they were WXCN. Two of the four Concert Network
station locations (Hartford, Boston) were the same as those of two of
Maj Armstrong's original five-station over-the-air relay network which
began on the old pre-war 44-52-MHz FM band and, after the war, moved
up to the current band. Its stations were W2XMN Alpine NJ, a station
whose calls I don't know on Meriden Mtn near Hartford, a station on
Asnebumskit Hill in Paxton that at one point had the calls WGTR (FM),
and a station atop Mt Washington that was once WMTW (FM). In those
days, I doubt whether the 104.1, licensed to Waterbury but serving the
Hartford market had yet signed on, so it's possible that Concert
Network, even without a Worcester affiliate, was able to relay
programs over the air from New York to Boston with only two hops (New
York to Hartford and Hartford to Boston).

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367