Delay on WODS-HD3

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:22:12 EST 2009

 >> Can the delay be partly explained by the receiver itself?

In theory, no.  The HD signal's audio component is supposed to decoded
as one entire package.

However, I suppose an audio stream with a different bitrate (say, 24kbps
vs. 48kbps) could very well require more/less processor cycles to decode
into audio.  I don't know if the rest of the streams are delayed to
accommodate that, but I would assume they aren't.

Also, I have no idea if an audio stream in the 24kbps of extended hybrid
mode is decoded at the same time an audio stream within the 96kbps of
the main channel.  Logically, again, I would suppose there isn't any
special synchronization there...but I wouldn't bank too much on my
assumptions.

One of these days I'll get around to reading "The IBOC Handbook"; if
there's any clues to the answers for these questions...they're probably
in there.  But it's entirely possible there simply are no answers to
these particular questions, because a lot of the encoding algorithm is
"black box"; not part of the standard and well-hidden by iBiquity's patents.

- Aaron

P.S. To be clear: HD Radio receivers DO impose a slight delay in
decoding overall, and every radio (not just every model, I mean every
single radio) is different.  You can hear it yourself by tuning an
analog radio, and three different HD Radio receivers, all to the same
HD-enabled station.  Even if the analog/digital audio is perfectly
time-sync'd, you'll hear all four radios be slightly out of sync with
each other...and the HD Radios will all be slightly more delayed than
the analog.

The question, however, was where the extra 30-odd seconds of delay that
multicast channels have is coming from.  That's a (presumably) different
story.