TV Sign Off Question

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Tue Feb 10 12:59:58 EST 2009

At 8:14 AM 2/10/2009, Joe Brown wrote:

>I have a client who is looking for a photo if possible. He seems to
>remember one of the TV stations in the 60's would sign off the air
>at midnight and the screen would go to a picture of an Indian.
>
>He tells me it is NOT the one with the Indian at the 12:00 position.
>He is insistent that the Indian head was full screen or so.

I do not recall ever seeing such a test pattern, and I spent some
time studying them when I was a TV Chief Engineer.

The "12 o'clock" Indian head test pattern was most commonly seen in
the RCA TK-1 series of monoscopes. A monoscope is a modified TV
camera incorporating a test pattern in the pickup tube. The "mono" in
"monoscope" comes from the fact that it can display only one image.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting,
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA - WZZI / WZZU / WLNI / WLEQ
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/starcity.html