Something to watch out for...

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 11:26:00 EST 2008

NBC most certainly owns KNTV channel 11 which is licensed to San Jose.

A few years back KRON played hardball with NBC over compensation and
NBC pulled a Papelbon by signing up with channel 11 and KNTV agreed to
PAY NBC for the rights and also gave NBC the option to buy the station
which NBC did.

The end result was KRON was destroyed as they became an independent
station. The newscasts now look like cable access as the reporters
shoot their stories and use laptops and wifi to file them.

Channel 11's website is

www.nbcbayarea.com

and the San Francisco and Boston markets are almost exactly the same
size according to Neilsen mainly because Manchester is included in the
Boston totals.