Operating in the public interest for the local area

Dan Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sat Nov 8 22:47:54 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert S Chase" <attychase@comcast.net>
To: <boston-radio-interest@tsornin.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 9:50 AM
Subject: Operating in the public interest for the local area

>What's killing local radio as a business model is the bigger bang the same
>ad can get on the cable. On the other hand, my wife always reads the
>newspaper for their supermarket inserts and junk ad inserts.

I was recently involved in buying ads for political campaigns on cable.  In
Maine, Time Warner does ad inserts for very large regional areas and the ads
are not cheap.  The old days of being able to buy a small local cable area
are gone.  At least in Maine.  (Except for Comcast that only covers a small
area in the state.)