Dennis & Callahan criticized for "election postponed" joke

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 01:51:01 EST 2008

>>Political talk radio on terrestrial radio may soon
be dead. Freedom of speech? Who needs that when you have a government about
to step in and regulate
radio on the issue of "fairness".<<

We lived with the so-called Fairness Doctrine a long time before it was
abolished and we did just fine.

Somehow this has turned into a talking point for Republicans and right wing
talk radio.  I don't see the doom and gloom scenarios that people are
painting...as if the Fairness Doctrine would end all politcal speech.

We dealt with just as many touchy political subjects back then, and no one
ever complained that they were being stifled.

I DO remember radio discourse being much more civil then.  I don't know if
that was the fairness doctrine, or just a sign of a different time.

If it brings more civility to conversation on radio.....then I'm all for it.

But stop the gloom and doom talking points that the fairness doctrine will
bring political discussion to a halt.

>> If it applies to NPR, TV, newspapers, magazines, and movies, at least it
>> would be consistent. <<

It should apply to NPR...but TV, Newspapers and Magazines are private
enterprises and do operate on the public spectrum, they own their own press,
ink and paper.  Radio is being granted a license to use the public airways.

>> Instead it seems squarely aimed to kill political talk radio--which
>> happens to mostly lean right. Great.<<

No, it seems to want to address fairness....which is a noble thing.

Don't use the public airwaves to unfairly attack someone.