Salvation Army Honors Former WCAP Owner Maurice Cohen

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Sat May 31 15:58:09 EDT 2008

Congratulations to Maurice Cohen. He and his late brother were
intrinsically involved in the Christmas drive.  Contrary to the new WCAP
website information, the radiothon goes back even before the early 1980s
when I became involved, under the direction of PD Joe Corcoran. There
were many non-Salvation Army members who really turned out for the
event.  The real heroes were the ones who were behind the scenes, etc.
Back then, 20K or so was not uncommon and that was almost all from one,
fives and tens, with very little from corporate giving.  The brothers
would turn over the whole station, including front offices, phones, to
volunteers and the station would run spot-free from 6a to 7p wall to wall.

One of the more memorable ones I recall was the day after Malden Mills
burned. Many of the SA members responded to that - who would have been
at the station -  IIRC, the giving was at record levels that day.
Typically, I anchored the last 3 hours or so (and got more credit than I
deserved for it).  The most memorable things would be the unsolicited
testimonial calls from folks with their story of how the SA helped them
and their kids at Christmas, crises during the year, etc.  Those were
the calls that you would just let go while you shut up and listened.

Bill O'Neill